miércoles, 2 de julio de 2014

The Old Man and The Sea by Earnest Hemingway


If you haven't already read this masterpiece, I strongly recommend you do. The Old Man and the Sea is an exquisite narrative that despite its very few dialogues manages to keep you reading and interested. The book makes you reflect on life and the symbiosis between man and nature. 

Here are some hand-picked quotes you might enjoy. 





“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated. ” 

“I may not be as strong as I think, but I know many tricks and I have resolution.” 

“It's silly not to hope. It's a sin he thought.” 

“If the others heard me talking out loud they would think that I am crazy. But since I am not, I do not care.” 

“Now he was proving it again. Each time was a new time and he never thought about the past when he was doing it.”

“The sail was patched with flour sacks and, furled, it looked like the flag of permanent defeat.” 

“He was too simple to wonder when he had attained humility. But he knew he had attained it and he knew it was not disgraceful and it carried no loss of true pride.” 







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario